You need to run the upgrade / calibration routine on your printer. To do this please follow these instructions
1. Download and extract the file from this link, this is the IDP Smart firmware updater utility for the Smart 31 and 51 printer.
2. Browse to the downloaded folder/files and double click the CardPrinterFirmware.exe to Run it, you may need to be logged in as Admin to do this.
3. Click the browse button and go to the same folder the CardPrinterFirmware.exe is located and select the Smart51_app_1_02_50_SPI.bin, then click open.
4. Now click the update button, the LCD on the Smart 51 will report the % progress (on the Smart 31 the LCD with flicker purple) once the update is complete you will hear the printer cycle its power and boot up as if it has been turned on.
5. The final step is to click the Colour Sensor Calibration button. Click OK past the password window as no password is set. After a few moments you will hear the printer make some winding noise and it will show “Set Printer Use Colour Calibrated Data..” confirming the settings are set.
This should complete the upgrade and calibration process and resolve the issue you have with the ribbon seek error.